This group of servants insure that all supplies are available to make the thousands of lunches that are assembled at Hillside during the summer. Each week Hillside makes about 700 lunches to be sent out to our children in need in Cherokee County. Those serving on this team would perform tasks such as:
- Organizing and sorting supplies
- Weekly counting inventory to insure supplies are ready for build
- Receiving in donations and adding them to existing inventory
- Shopping for items needed
- Working with the Lead Inventory Coordinator
These tasks can take place throughout the week and has a very flexible schedule. Email to serve on the inventory team.
MAKING THE LUNCHES
HILLSIDE PLANNED LUNCH ASSEMBLY
During the months of June and July, Hillside serves our community by assembling lunches for the MUST Summer Lunch Program. These volunteer servants gather together to assemble sandwiches (usually meat and cheese), and create bag lunches which include a drink, fruit cup and salty snack.
Teams can gather either Tuesday morning from 10:00 - 11:00 am and/or Wednesday evening from 5:30 - 6:30 pm. This is a great way to serve as a family. All are welcome ages 3 and up (3-4 year old's can color bags, ages 5 and up help with the assembly).
If you prefer, nursery is available for children 6 years and younger for a small fee. Reservations are recommended in advance to guarantee your child's spot.
For those students seeking community service hours for school, this is an excellent and rewarding opportunity to serve and receive hours. Be sure to sign in on Hillside's attendance log and include your arrival time and departure time. You must record your times to received credit hours.
REGISTER TO MAKE LUNCHES
OTHER LUNCH ASSEMBLY
Many organizations, churches, small groups, and individuals provide lunches throughout the summer. If you are interested in providing lunches for a host site, please contact MUST Ministries to determine the nearest host site to your location. MUST Ministries Summer Lunch Ministry operates in the following counties: Cherokee, Cobb, Bartow, Gwinnett, Pickens, Fulton and Forsyth. See MUST SUMMER LUNCH MENU AND GUIDELINES PDF for more information on how to prepare lunches.
PACKERS AND CHECKERS
During the months of June and July, Hillside serves as a distribution site for the Summer Lunch Program. Our Checkers and Packers
- receive built lunches from other churches and organizations
- check the bags for content
- prepare them for delivery
- deliver lunches to other distribution sites in the area (usually New Life Church).
This team consists of servants ages 12 and older, except for the delivery to the distribution sites, which will need someone with a large vehicle and a drivers license.
REGISTER TO SERVE AS A CHECKER OR PACKER
DRIVERS AND RIDERS
Drivers and riders are needed Monday through Friday to deliver the lunches to the children. We have two routes, therefore we need two drivers and two riders each day. Our drivers and riders are members of many different churches in this area. All are welcome to receive the blessing of helping deliver lunches provided they meet all the guidelines and as listed below.
The first time you drive, please bring the following:
- Drivers must be at least 25 years old.
- Rider must be 18 years old, however other riders can be younger.
- Delivery usually takes about 2 hours beginning at 10:30 a.m.
- Begin at Hillside in Fellowship Hall (follow the signage).
- DMV Report:
To get a DMV report, go to https://online.dds.ga.gov/onlineservices/mvrintro.aspx and click continue. Create an account or log in if you already have one. Confirm your name. The next screen will show if you have any points on your record. If your points are ‘0’, print this screen and bring it with you. If you have ‘1’ or more points, click on ‘purchase motor vehicle report’, print the report and bring it with you.
- Copy of Driver's License
- Copy of Insurance Card
- Copy of Vehicle Registration
STEPS TO BE A DRIVER
- Request for a background check - print background request form (2 separate pages), Hillside notaries available for free Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 4:00pm. You can leave the forms in the church office, simply tell them it is for MUST Summer Lunch Driver/Riders.
- Request a Department of Motor Vehicle Record (non-certified) from the GDMV for the past 3 years. This will be emailed to you. Please bring this with you the first time you drive. Go to: “Online Services”; under “Other Services” choose: Driving History (MVR). This will cost about $7.00. // submit request here
REGISTER TO DELIVER