As we watch the devastation from the onslaught of Hurricane Harvey, we cannot help but to want to help however we can. As a United Methodist church, we go to UMCOR, United Methodist Committee On Relief, for guidance on the best way to help. UMCOR is a first response ministry organization who serves around the world, staying until we are no longer needed.. They make the following recommendations:
5 Things You Can Do
- Please continue to pray for those whose lives have been impacted by hurricane/tropical storm Harvey. Please also pray for the Early Response Teams, disaster coordinators, and many volunteers in The Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, Louisiana Conference of The United Methodist Church, Río Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church and Central Texas Conference who are working tirelessly to provide relief after Harvey.
- Make relief kits, send complete kits to http://www.umcor.org/UMCOR/Relief-Supplies/Relief-Supply-Network/Relief-Supply-Network, shipping label/packing list instructions
- Give to UMCOR's relief and recovery efforts: https://secure3.convio.net/…/SPageNaviga…/umcor_donate.html.
- Donate only those items requested.
- Please wait for an invitation to volunteer.
What is Hillside doing?
- Accepting financial donations (be sure to note Hurricane Harvey on the for line of your check) for UMCOR.
- Making Cleaning Buckets and Health Kits. Donate the supplies to assemble kits or build your own complete kit/bucket. To sign up to bring items, click the link below. All donations should be in no later than September 17th. Join us on September 20th to assemble all kits.
- Hillside is an official drop off location for UMCOR buckets and health kits. We expect to take hundreds of buckets to the UMCOR warehouse in September. Food, clothing, shoes and other personal items ARE NOT appropriate to ship to the area and will not be accepted at this location. A list of recommended tools used to muck out homes is listed below. These items may also be included for shipment.
COMPLETE CLEANING BUCKET KIT LIST
COMPLETE HEALTH KIT LIST
SIGN UP TO DONATE SUPPLIES
Other NEW Equipment UMCOR Needs:
- Box Fans
- 25' Heavy Duty Extension Cords
- 2&3 Gallon Garden Sprayers
- Flat Billed Shovels
- Wheel Barrows
- White Kitchen 13-gallon trash can liners
- Black Magic Markers
- 40 or 50 gallon heavy duty (contractor) black trash can liners
Reaching out in our local community starts right where you are. There are so many in need in our community, won’t you reach out and show God’s love. As a child of Christ, we are called to live a life of servanthood.
Seasonal - NOW
Christmas Angels - Click Here for more information
Year Round Ways To Serve
Hillside serves at two different prisons in the area. Servants reach out to the incarcerated by partnering with KAIROS to minister and share God's love through the Gospel. // more info
Habitat For Humanity
Hillside UMC partners with Habitat For Humanity's home building ministry in Cherokee County. When a new home build is going on, Hillside sends servants to work alongside the homeowners to make their dream of owning their own home come true. // more info
Current Build completed. Click here for more opportunities.
This ministry goes out and helps those that have lost so much during a disaster such as a flood, hurricane, earthquake or fire. If you are interested in getting connected to go and serve on one of these teams, click here to receive information.
This mobile food ministry reaches out to the hungry in our community. Forever Fed receives food in several days throughout the week. The food is sorted onto portable shelves, the loaded on the box truck. This mobile food pantry then goes to areas where transportation is a known issue providing food where needed. Visit the Forever Fed website to sign up to serve.
There are several gardens throughout Cherokee county that grow fruit and vegetable those in our community. The gardens are year round gardens and provide much needed fresh fruit and vegetables for community food pantries, organizations and children's homes. Visit God's Garden on Facebook or contact Steve Thompson to serve.
There are many food pantries in our area. Hillside supports these pantries through providing them with food and servants. MUST Ministry food collection barrels are located at each main Hillside entrance. // more info
There are many clothes pantries in our area. Hillside supports these pantries through encouraging our congregation to give to these pantries. All donations of clothing should go directly to the pantry and not to Hillside. // more info
Cherokee County Senior Center
Reaching out to our elderly neighbors is easy at the Cherokee County Senior Center. There locations in both Canton and Woodstock. You can stop by and spend time visiting with the elderly at the senior center or work to provide for the needs as they arise. // more info
Elizabeth Inn Homeless Shelter Laundry & Meals
Laundry: Throughout the month, Hillside servants take time to wash clothes for the homeless guests who are staying at the Elizabeth Inn Homeless Shelter. Each guest places all their dirty clothing in a basket before they go to sleep. They wake up to clean clothes to wear; what a blessing! Hillside serves every 1st Wednesday and 3rd Tuesday of each month.
more info // sign up to serve
Meals: Once a month Hillside servants prepare and serve dinner meals to the guests of Elizabeth Inn. Meals are prepared in the downstairs Hillside kitchen and served at Loaves and Fishes Soup Kitchen next the the Elizabeth Inn in Marietta.
more info // sign up to serve
This blanket making ministry provides a warm hug to orphans, sick, and elderly. Each fleece blanket is made with loving care, gift wrapped with a poem to make sure each recipient knows they are loved and being prayed for. HUGS meets the first and third Tuesday of each month from 10:00 a.m. to noon. The summer schedule differs slightly. // more info
As needs arise in our community, a team is formed to go out to answer the call. These Helping Hands servants provide help such as yard work, light carpentry, repairs, cleaning and visitation. // more info
Hillside servants partner alongside the Hope Center pregnancy education ministry. Servants are needed from serving at the thrift store to mentoring young soon to be parents. Mentors will be interviewed and trained. // more info
If you are being led to reach out and serve or have questions about how you can be involved in the missions and outreach of Hillside, contact us by email or phone at 770.924.4777.